Sunday, November 5, 2017

Sample Sunday ~ Call for Help

Good Morning,
I know we got an extra hour of sleep last night, bu am I the only one who feels like they didn't? Anyway, I'd been good except yesterday for my NaNoWri story until yesterday. However, I cleaned the house and had date night with the boyfriend. A good night out which I needed after being locked up last weekend from being sick. That and Thor was amazing! I would highly recommend it. It was different than the others, but I enjoyed it.

Now, I know that you aren't reading this post because you want to hear how awesome Thor was. I have been working on Call for Help (Beneath the Scars 2). I started a sequel years ago, but how it was going I didn't like the direction. I thought it was too depressing, the characters were all over the place. The connection wasn't right. I put the story on the back burner. Last year I thought of a different direction, different set up. The last couple of months I outlined more of the story. This time I'm tired of just talking about the sequel and decided to use NaNoWriMo as the push I needed to get the word count up. To really light a fire under my butt. I am at the nearly 10k words mark! Yay!

Happy Sunday, this is Chapter 1 AND 2!!!

1
Jack




I was standing surrounded by fog. It was so foggy that I was having trouble seeing my hand in front of me. I started to wander around aimlessly. There was flapping of wings of a bird flew over my head and as quickly as it came it disappeared further into the fog. Glancing behind me I wondered if there was others, but only silence filled the air. Taking a deep breath I took another step forward. There had to be a way out of this fog. The fog swirled away in sections off to the left. I paused, looking around before changing directions. The fog wouldn’t let up except at my feet. I came to a halt and my heart sped up. There in front of me was the lake we all went to as kids with the rope that we swung on and into the water.
“Come on, I bet I can get further than you,” a giggle echoed throughout the air.”

Beeping woke me up instantly, but I refused to open my eyes. I batted around my nightstand until the stupid thing was silenced. Groaning I rubbed my face. My back ached, my hands were stiff, and my knees were ready to pop off to run away. I was only in my twenties and I was falling apart. This was what I got for working with my hands, but the thought of being stuck in a cubical sounded like padded walls. I wouldn’t trade my life with anyone. Sighing I pushed myself up out of bed and to be greeted by cool air. Bailey my mutt stretched further on her back, not bothering to get up with me.
“You’re one spoiled brat you know that?”
She sighed. I shook my head and dragged my feet to the bathroom. I turned on the water. I went to the bathroom and tossed my pants into the hamper as one of the legs didn’t make it in. Mist floated around me bringing me back to the dream. When was the last time I’ve been to the lake? Hopping into the shower and started to scrub every inch of me even though my fingers seemed to be permanently dyed in dark grease.
The lake. How many summer days did I spend in the water or on the grass sitting with my buddies. We would all take turns swinging on the rope to see who would get out the furthest when we were in middle school and early high school. How many dates did I take there? I think I lost count when I realized I couldn’t have a conversation with them. Then there was her.
Before I could continue my thoughts the water ran cold. A harsh jolt overcame me. I couldn’t turn the water off fast enough. I grabbed my towel and dried myself. Bailey went from taking up one side to being sideways taking up more bed.
“I thought you were supposed to be man’s best friend,” I muttered and she didn’t even move.
I shook my head and pulled out clothes for the day. The t-shirt was a light material, but the color was dark. After working in the marines for years, it was freeing at first to be able to have more options of clothes again, however the novelty wore off quick. The idea of turning wrenches and problem solving machines was soothing.

My life went from one routine to another and I was okay with it.

2
Jack




The light from my television was lighting up my living room and Bailey was outstretched on the couch with me. I was sliding down my couch slowly and my eyelids were bobbing. I needed to go to bed already. I could always watch this another time. I had an actual that I spent money on, I just had to motivate myself off of the couch. Putting my hands on both sides of me I started to push myself up when my phone went off. Lifting the phone to my ear I didn’t look to see who was calling me.
“Hello?” my voice was hoarse.
There was a pause. I scrunched my eyebrows together and took the phone away from my ear to look at the screen.
“Faye?”
“Sorry I didn’t mean to call you.” Her voice was soft.
Her voice was a little different, but I knew that voice despite the years. My throat clenched and my stomach dropped. The words seemed to be stuck in my throat as they fought to see which words would come out.
“It’s fine.”
I could almost hear a clock ticking as I waited for a reply.
“So how-”
“Well I guess I should-” we both spoke at the same time and stopped.
“How have you been,” my voice was soft and I could almost hear the teenage voice coming through.
I could almost picture her pushing her hair behind hear as she glanced around searching for the answer.
“Pretty good, just busy with work. How about you?”
“Same.”
“My mom told me you’re out of the marines now and are working at Lennie’s garage.”
“Yeah.”
She’s not even here and she’s aware of the town’s gossip.
“I saw her recently. I know she misses you, she always talks to me when I work on her car.”
“Oh I know she does and makes sure I know every phone call that I need to visit. Thank you for looking out for her.”
“It’s no problem.”
Silence filled the phone. I was sure that she could hear my pulse through the phone. Did I continue that conversation or let it die off?
“Well I have to go. I’m working late tonight and was trying to order dinner from Jack’s.”
“Okay, bye.”
“Bye.”
My phone clicked, but I still had my phone to my ear for a moment. She didn’t even have to introduce herself, but I knew that voice anywhere despite it being years. I sat forward and pressed the side of my phone against my mouth. I thought that part of my life the door had closed, locked and built a brick wall. Which I was finally fine with. Between the dream the other night and the phone call I had to wonder if the lock and brick wall were illusions.
I shook my head placing my phone on the arm of the couch and headed to my room. Reaching for the bottom of my shirt I pulled it off before tossing it into the laundry basket. However, I missed and it landed on the floor. I kicked off my pants and crawled into bed with Bailey jumping in after me. I scratched her head until I was able to doze off of what felt like hours later.

There was a slight breeze, but it was the first night that we could go outside without a coat. The sky was ink black and decorated with pure white stars clear as a bell. I was sitting in the backyard with my feet up on another chair. My head was tilted up, my phone that was on my lap went off. I’d been waiting for hours to hear from Faye.
Don’t feel like leaving.
y?
I had to ask, because the day before she went on about how she needed to get out and do something. That she was bored out of her mind.
Just don’t feel like seeing the outside world today.
Wyd then?
Sitting in bed watching TV.
I raised an eyebrow.
u’re seriously just going to lay in bed tonight?
y not? Long week and parents are out.
I stood up and marched up the deck stairs.
Don’t be lame.
I just feel eh and don’t feel like much.
I grabbed my keys off the hook in the kitchen. Mom got tired of finding my keys all around the house.
“Mom, I’m going to Faye’s for a bit.”
She looked up from whatever she was working on at the kitchen table.
“Okay, but don’t be out too late. We have church in the morning then we’re with the grandparents the rest of the day.”
I kissed her on the cheek and went out the front door. I practically jumped off the front porch and walked around my mom’s car to reach my truck. It was my mom’s and she gave it to me. It was used for her and the once vibrant color was now a steel blue color. Starting the truck I made my way towards her house listening to the dings of my phone as she was talking until it was silent. She was probably not going to be in the best mood about the fact that I wasn’t responding. Finally I pulled up her rock driveway. I turned the car off so that silence was in the air and slipped my phone into my pocket. I ran up the stairs and rang her doorbell. After a moment she answered her door. Her blond hair was tied up in a bun. She was wearing plaid pajama shorts and a t-shirt, just further supporting her words of not wanting to do anything.
“I should’ve known you’d show up since you weren’t responding.” Her voice was flat as she leaned against the door.
I grinned as she let me into the house.
“What else are friends for other than making them do things they don’t want to do.”
Her hands went to her shorts. “Once the pj pants are on, I don’t leave the house.”
I made my way to her room. “That’s fine I don’t have any intention of subjecting the outside world to you tonight.”
“I’m not sure if that is a jab at me or not.”
She crossed her arms as she stood in her doorframe. Her room was a mess. Her soccer cleats and other clothes were scattered across the floor. I tried to ignore the clothes as I was sure there was a bra hanging over the foot of her bed. My cheeks warmed as I pushed some of her homework away from her speakers and plugged up my phone. I had to focus.
“What are you up to Jack?”
“Wouldn’t you like to know?”
“Well, duh that’s why I asked.”
I turned around as music came through the speakers. A corner of her lips curled.
“Time to get out of that funk my friend.”
I turned the music louder and went over to her. She bit her lips almost to stop the smile from forming. She just stood there. I grabbed both of her hands and started to move her side to side.
“Stop fighting our house party.”
“It’s just the two of us.”
“Who ever said a party had to be more than two people?” I asked her still trying to get her to move.
“Every normal human being,” She finally laughed and started to jump and down.
“Embrace the dorkiness of it all,” I called out.
She broke out laughing real hard. Faye’s face lit up and I could not help the grin on my face grow bigger. She was at ease. It was at that moment I knew that I wanted to make sure there was a smile on her face for the rest of my life.

“Did you get any sleep last night?”
I lifted my head to see Ethan glancing at me through the side of the hood of the truck.
“Sorry I didn’t really sleep last night.”
“Nightmares again?”
I shook my head and went back to staring at the engine. “Something like that.”
Leaning further in of the car I tried to get a better look at the problem. That and hoping that he would get the hint.
“It might be time for you to see some professional help,” Ethan lowered his voice.
“I don’t need any professional help that’s why I got Bailey,” I shot back.
“Did you just say you got a dog instead of seeing professional help?”
I glanced up, “Dogs are great listeners and are cheaper in the long run.”
“What were you having nightmares from then?”
“Faye-”
“Why am I even hearing that name?” Ethan’s voice came out harsh.
Groaning I got out of the hood of the car. I took my hat off, gripping it in my hands I re-slid it back on my head. The garages clatters filled my ears, but I could still hear my heart racing in my chest. Her voice came to me once again. The high school version was fresh in my mind. My palms were sweaty already. I wiped them on my jeans pretending that it was because of the grease.
“Because she accidently called me last night,” I muttered and walked over to my toolbox, making sure not to meet his eyes.
I turned my back and took some sips of my water.
“She still has your number in her phone?”
I shrugged. “Apparently. There’s some restaurant near her called Jack something and she was ordering dinner.”
“I’m pretty sure that’s one of the lamest things that I’ve ever heard of in my entire life.”
“Can we please for the love of God end this conversation? I feel like a middle school girl.”
“You two sound like it too,” Joey called over before sliding back under his oil change.
“Answer one thing first.”
I rolled my eyes as I turned to face him. “What?”
“How long was your conversation?”
I scrunched my face and shrugged. “A few minutes, not long.”
He nodded. “Good, I don’t need you running off again because of her.”
“I didn’t run off because of her.”
“You two broke up, and she was on a plane to New York City two hours later then less than a week later you were seeing recruiters for the Marines.”
I grabbed a wrench. “This will be lodged somewhere if you don’t stop talking soon.”
He held up both of his hands and took a step back.
“Okay I get it. I’ll drop it.”
“Good.”
I put the wrench back on the top of my toolbox and went back to the car that I was working on.
“You haven’t tried to contact her today have you?”
I just dropped my head and sighed instead of answering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my blog and please do not be afraid to comment!